Tuesday, December 23, 2014

An American Girl Christmas

This Christmas, American Girl seems to be at the top of the list for many girls.  Bitty Bee has two AG dolls, Molly and Holly.  Molly was last year's Christmas gift from Nana and Grandpa and Holly is a "My American Girl" doll that we found at a local resell shop for a good price.  Holly was supposed to be my doll for sewing, but she ended up in Bitty Bee's bedroom rather quickly.  This year, Bitty Bee has asked Santa for a Samantha doll and I had to get a little creative.

Have you seen the new Samantha?  Her dress has been re-designed and is so cute!!!  It's a pretty pale pink with white lace trim and a burgundy sash.  The dress is solid pink fabric and has a dotted lace overlay.  She's wearing white tights, white bloomers and black Mary Jane style shoes.

BKD28_main_2

I can certainly understand why lots of little girls, my own included, are hoping to find her under the Christmas tree on Thursday morning!

A few months ago, I got lucky.  I'm in a few "buy/sell/trade" groups on Facebook and in one of them, someone posted a retired Samantha doll for sale, just the doll, no clothing.  I made an offer on her and she became mine.  But there was the issue of her needing an outfit and I knew BB would want the new pink outfit.  So I did some brainstorming and searched through the patterns in my digital stash until I found one that I could alter a teeny bit to bring this pretty pink dress to life!

I chose the Mini Prairie Girl from Ellie Inspired for this dress.  Samantha's dress has the short puffy sleeves that can be replicated with a simple peasant dress.  The Prairie Girl dress was easy to use for this one, I just had to turn the front to the back so that I could put Velcro down it for the opening.

I used Clip Dots in Petal for my main fabric and lined the dress in a lightweight white fabric, since the Clip Dots is rather sheer.  I raided my lace stash to find something similar to what is used in the original dress.  Luckily, I had something that came very close!

One of the bigger challenges was the sash.  I tried a sash that could be tied on and that kept moving around and just didn't look right.  So I picked up some single fold bias tape and busted out the needle and thread to hand sew it on the waist of the dress.  I'm not a fan of hand sewing.  At all.  My fingers now hurt.
But I have to say, the end result was well worth it!!!  Here they are, side by side.




The lighting in my picture is pretty bad, I was hiding out in my closet, where Samantha has been hiding out.  I'm happy with the result and I hope Bitty Bee loves her as much as I loved my Samantha when I was about her age.

Oh, and of course, Samantha will be getting a gift on Christmas, as well as the other AG dolls in our house.  I found the perfect sized dolls for them while at Target today.  They are ornaments but I just cut the little hanging loop off from their hats and they are just the right size!


Merry Christmas from our family to yours!

~*~Princess Bee~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment